Welcome to the BlogAdda Forum. Post your queries and views on various subjects surrounding the Indian blogosphere, connect with like-minded folks and have quality conversations. Spread the word amongst your fellow bloggers and let’s help each other.
Pressure of posting?
  • Do you feel pressurised to post? Does that affect quality?
  • @Gyanban Interesting question. Friends, do you feel the pressure to blog regularly? Have you compromised on the quality of the post in the process?
  • The pressure to post is something that subconsciously exists especially after I got into a rhythm of posting regulary and setting a certain expectation. Following are some of the reasons why I feel the pressure :

1. I get into a blogging timetable (Every Monday) and when I have to break the pattern for whatever reasons. I have a post in mind but have not been able to post because I had lent my camera to someone else.

2. I see traffic dipping because of lack of post in the blog for a considerable time.

3. I have nothing new (about my blog) to really talk about in Social media. I see my facebook engagement stats dipping and that gives me the urge to post SOMETHING.

But somehow have been managing to not post because of the pressure, but only because I have something to write about. When reading posts from a blog, just one post that has no purpose or is such a deviation from the niche can really bring down the interest levels, atleast in my case. For now, I am just waiting for the camera, to make my post. I don't mind waiting for another week to do so.

Somu (Woodooz)
  • @Woodooz, you have raised an interesting concern, that one of the post that has no purpose can bring down the interest levels!

Hey, we tried to visit your blog, but it seems to go somewhere else. Kindly check and sort the problem, if any.
  • Oops, try now, I think I had misspelt the URL... It is http://woodooz.blogspot.com I just corrected the mistake in my earlier comment
  • Yes @Woodooz, it works now! Another point we would like to add in this discussion is that one needs to be regular. You can plan that well. Like one blogpost in 2 days if you are active, or one in a week if that suits you. When you decide that, stick to it. The readers would know when to expect a new post from you. If for some reasons, you cannot post, it is a good idea to inform readers when can they expect another post. :)
  • That's very true. Being regular sets the readers expectation and there is a certain lot that would keep coming back looking for a new post. It is indeed important to fulfill that expectation, but I fear to do it for the purpose of doing it might just make me lose that reader. There are few blogs that I follow, and while there are really good posts hidden somewhere in the blog, there are these regular "Have a great week ahead" "Have a great weekend" posts that carry absolutely no purpose. And I eventually unsubscribed.

Striking a balance between being regular and good quality is quite a challenge. Informing readers where there is going to be no post is really a good tip. That really works well for blogs with a considerable regular readership. I usually try to encourage folks to subscribe to my RSS feed or my Facebook fan page just because of this issue. That way there is no disappointment, because they know when there is a post.

I shall keep this in mind and see if I can place a calender in my sidebar with my posting schedule.

- Somu (Woodooz)
  • Here's a trick - have two blogs. One where yopost your best posts, a niche blog perhaps.Typically,this takes time,effort, mindset etc. So the frequency can be compromised. While on the other, a regular post blog, dont worry about making it a literary genius article, or a earth shattering piece,( i mean if it turns out like that,then so be it) but the idea is not to fret about what you are posting.

Its more like a jot on a post it.A collage of thoughts.Its okay to let readers know that you are piecing together a piece - in fact it may make your blog more interactive.

My blog - gyanban.com is a serious niche blog focussed only on fiction short stories and poetry, so it takes time,effort and mental preparation to post here, hence the frequency is not that great.But on a personal judgement, I feel the quality that is churned out is generally above average.

The other blog -jasaala.wordpress.com - was started to keep my writing flow going anc capturing thoughts about everyday incidents.This is my regular blog where ,though it requires some time to think, but it is not tasking, as the spectrum of choice available to write is huge - so I can almost write about anything.Which means, there is no pressure.

People often ask me, 'oh so you blog where do you find the time?' - and my reply is - I dont think it takes too much time to write what youre already thinking'.

• @Woodooz Good. Your readers will be happy. :)

@Gyanban Might make sense to some and not to few. One might question that instead of spending time, whatever little, in posting unorganised thoughts/posts, one may choose to invest that time in the other blog that you mention to have detailed useful posts. But again, as you rightly said that it does not take too much time to pen down what is going in your mind. :)

Note: To make sure that the URL you mention in your post gets linked automatically, type with http://URL.
  • I started not so long back. So, I don't think I'm eligible to comment on it. However, I have made a cautious effort from start to not rush into posting. I take time. I generally start working on next post a day after posting a new post. I don't want to compromise on quality. So far I haven't felt the pressure.

I hope I don't in future :)
  • Well, yes. There is a little pressure about posting regularly. But blogging is not just about sitting in front of the system and forcefully writing just for the sake of it. Blogging to me is a journey..it may last 5 mins or it may take days. Each post deserves my full attention, mind and soul into it. I sometimes write almost every other day, while sometimes it stretches to a month. That's when I feel that its been long..but that doesnt mean I'll just write whatever. If m not in the mood, I wont be able to create the magic for myself, that happens when I usually write. SO, a little pressure is there, but I dont let it get on my head. But also, I make sure that I don't take it for granted!

Welcome Friend!

Be a part of the BlogAdda Forum to connect, share and learn. Login via Facebook or Register, it takes less than a minute!

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion