Welcome to the BlogAdda Forum. Post your queries and views on various subjects surrounding the Indian blogosphere, connect with like-minded folks and have quality conversations. Spread the word amongst your fellow bloggers and let’s help each other.
  • Hello Bloggers!
    First of all, congratulations on continuing to write such wonderful inspiring posts so regularly. Your Adda, in an attempt to help our community discover and share your posts, has come up with BAnter! We shall feature one post written by you and invite everybody in the community to discuss and opine on the issue discussed. Let's start talking...

Banter Debate

Today, we have WIN14 winner The Indian Homemaker's post on problems faced by women while menstruating. How does a girl living in a town or village in India feel when she has her first period? How do women maintain hygiene while menstruating especially if they do not have private toilets? How do men in their families and communities react to their predicament? We invite you all to talk, discuss, opine, comment and share your views over this social construct.
  • Being a patriarchy by origin, female hygiene & nutrition have never been social priorities. I guess they weren't even discussed as recent as the 1980s or 1990s. While the urban parts of the Country have since picked up, rural areas need major reinforcement & support to provide a safe, hygienic atmosphere to the women.
  • Yes @phantomdelight you are absolutely correct! Have you faced or come across this problem? How do you expect the new government to tackle this issue?
    @indianhomemaker your insights please!
  • Here is ad which breaks the way periods are looked at

https://www.kulzy.com/showcase/creative.html?cid=czo1OiI1MTgxNyI7

periods are as natural as growing hairs, or nails or anything. high time we should start treating it like that and not as disease or a taboo.
    to change the society as a whole it is important to to change ourselves first, its high time we stop hiding behind blue inks and black polythene bags.
    lets drop what ever we have learnt about periods all our lives, dont pray, dont wash your hairs, dont enter the kitchen etc etc etc....
    lets teach are girls that it is normal to have periods and we should not be ashamed of it.
    lets educate the guys about periods so that they treat it normal to have conversations with their gfs, wives, sisters etc.
  • I liked how the above post reveals what most women in our country really go through when it comes to periods. And it is also very important that our government take the necessary measures to rectify this situation and also implement it effectively. Along with that we need to change mindsets as well. Websites like Menstrupedia are doing a commendable job in trying to abolish the stigma that some people attach with such an important and crucial phase of a girl's life by concocting various theories, stories and ridiculous myths.
    Having said that I also believe that it is a highly personal aspect of a woman's life, at least for me it is. When it comes to dealing with this subject, media, especially tends to go completely OTT. The advertisements are sometimes very obnoxious and embarrassing to watch. It does not mean that I am ashamed of bleeding every month but that I would like a sensitive subject to be dealt with in a sensitive manner. Not made a joke of.
  • @surabhi2504 & @thewanderer489 : Thank you so much for your views on the topic. Your participation is extremely valuable to us.
  • I never understood why I should not touch pickle when I am having periods... My touch never spoiled anything. As a child I use to feel embarrassed about my periods, about the ads for sanitary napkin, everything.... Why wouldn't I be? women are considered something like untouchables at that time but as I grew up I stopped feeling so. I follow my daily routine without any alteration and it includes praying. God made me such why should I be treated as a sinner??? Why should I be stopped from entering the holy places? That's how I and some of my friends feel.
    I really shudder to think how women in villages are coping with this. Private toilets have become an absolute necessity, specially since it's also leading to rape nowadays. Government should work harder in this areas and the education of villagers is also needed. Many of them do not like the idea of having a toilet in home. Educating them about this is really necessary.
  • Happy to see someone asking the pertinent questions on a public forum. It annoys me to no end that women in India have been made to feel ashamed of their bodies far too long. I'm just another person. I menstruate. I masturbate. What's the big deal?

Btw, I know my comment is essentially just a rant and has nothing to do with the original questions, but I did answer one of the questions here on my blog a while ago.
  • @anujoseph & @anawnimiss You guys are absolutely right. We should learn and educate women and men to openly talk about menstruation. It is true that some religions treat menstruating women differently. This indeed has to change. But, does anybody think that there is any scientific reason behind some practices for example; not letting a menstruating woman enter kitchen and let her rest? Your views please...
    PS: @anawnimiss Liked the way you have presented this issue in your blog post.
  • An old lady I know says that when on their period, women are spiritually highly aroused. So when they go to places of worship, they seem to attract all the positivity and get punya for everyone else's worship. I think this is bull, but it's an opinion nevertheless!

Don't know about why women aren't allowed to visit temples, but I do have a theory about the kitchen.
    Menstruation is a physically demanding situation to be in. Not going to the kitchen, would've helped them avoid crouching and squatting, especially in the olden days. Maybe a wise woman came up with that idea and then it got arm-twisted into a rule.

Welcome Friend!

Be a part of the BlogAdda Forum to connect, share and learn. Login via Facebook or Register, it takes less than a minute!

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion