Welcome to the BlogAdda Forum. Post your queries and views on various subjects surrounding the Indian blogosphere, connect with like-minded folks and have quality conversations. Spread the word amongst your fellow bloggers and let’s help each other.
Has or can your blog help(ed) you follow your passion and make a living from it?
  • So, you have a blog that's been up & running for months, maybe years. You write about something that's close to your heart, and you've built a base of loyal readers.

Have you, or can you, make a living from you blog and follow this passion? Why or Why Not?

Has or can your blog help(ed) you follow your passion and make a living from it?
  • Which is better: 'making a living' or 'living'?
    Blogging is what makes me live and have a life. Why must I overload it with the mundane task of providing me with money? Blogging is helping me discover the real me. Blogging is giving me insights into life and the living that weren't visible or audible to me earlier. Blogging is making me love life like I have never done before.

Why must I make blogging carve out a livelihood for me? Yes, there can be so many ways of linking money-earning with blogging... but they would then sooner or later convert blogging into a mechanical activity that will put food on the table, so to say.

Obviously, you're itching to tell me that I must be having a viable alternative or I wouldn't be saying all this. Well, that is a separate story altogether... but I know I am not asking my love, blogging, to earn me money.

Arvind Passey
    www.passey.info
  • Not unless poetry is routinely paid for, or poets are hired by organizations the way Engineers or CAs are, and given a salary. But then, the passion would go out of it probably, due to politics, deadlines, etc. So maybe it is best to keep one's passion a passion and not try and turn it into a source of livelihood.

~ Between Silences
  • I always like to have contrary opinions on issues. But on this issue I have to unfortunately agree with the earlier two people. Mr. Passey is a blog-o-sphere celebrity winning so many awards and endorsement deals. If he himself says blogging can't bring food to your table, how am I to contradict it? And as the earlier folks have mentioned, the kind of blogging that pays is mundane boring stuff like reviews and events coverage. Rather do office work than that. At least the money is better.
  • I would not deny the fact that blogging can earn you living too. It is actually doing for some. But it also depends what are you writing on and for...

To me blogging is a way to enjoy my life in my own way where I would do as I like, post as I like and enjoy as I like. I don't think of earning a living out of my blogging hobby. What I am actually looking forward to is learning how to write better, express my views better and do something that is called "Initiative". I have a long way to go... and I am building my career as an IT professional which can make my blogging self alive.

Jiya
    www.shoppingstylenus.com
  • Blogging full-time is the only way to create a professional blog. I have been doing it for the last two years and intend to continue it. I would not discourage people from doing it, but would like to highlight the following,

1. To just make the living cost through advertising, your blog needs to get at least 3000-4000 hits per day. And it should be a niche blog. Don't even bother monetizing the blog before that.

2. It takes considerable amount of time/money/efforts to get to the above mentioned figure. I am at 1500 hits per day (2 blogs combined) after having worked two full years on both. Are you ready to work for years without getting much in return?

3. It also takes a long time (years) to test and apply the right method of monetization for your blog. Yes, each blog monetizes differently and I am yet to crack this toughest puzzle.

4. Do not make the mistake I did - Do not quit your job without adequate savings for at least 4-5 years (without much income in return). I had saved enough resources for 1.5 years and thought it would be sufficient. It is not. Working on Freelance jobs does bridge the gap for now, but they take considerable amount of time. And, I am not very sure about the 4-5 year thing I mentioned above. You maybe able to break-even sooner, or later, depending on a multitude of factors. Needless to say, you need to track every single factor!

5. You'll lose everything you have gained until now. EVERY DAMN THING. Losing is the first step to gaining and it is very critical as it will enable you to create a platform/enterprise that you can call your own. Whether you'll be able to make it successful, is a different thing altogether. Also, will your family support an initiative like this? Think very carefully about this point. This is the trickiest thing you need to tackle in the Indian scenario.

6. Nothing is impossible. Read that again: NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. But, you should have a good idea of what you are going to lose and what you may/may not gain. If you cannot handle bankruptcy and if you do not know the meaning of bootstrapping, do not bother venturing in to this. But, that is required for any venture you might start from scratch, not only a professional blog.
  • My blog definitely helps me to follow my passion. I love to write what I wish to and it gives me happiness to spread my words among the maximum possible. And many a times when I get fed up from my job which is quite demanding, I wish to get hired for a company that would pay me for writing my heart out. I wish there would be a concept that would acknowledge the power of words and maybe help us earn a small amount.
  • @manjulika I also wish the same. Just make that 'small' big instead.
  • Blogging full-time is the only way to create a professional blog. I have been doing it for the last two years and intend to continue it. I would not discourage people from doing it, but would like to highlight the following,

1. To just make the living cost through advertising, your blog needs to get at least 3000-4000 hits per day. And it should be a niche blog. Don't even bother monetizing the blog before that.

2. It takes considerable amount of time/money/efforts to get to the above mentioned figure. I am at 1500 hits per day (2 blogs combined) after having worked two full years on both. Are you ready to work for years without getting much in return?

3. It also takes a long time (years) to test and apply the right method of monetization for your blog. Yes, each blog monetizes differently and I am yet to crack this toughest puzzle.

4. Do not make the mistake I did - Do not quit your job without adequate savings for at least 4-5 years (without much income in return). I had saved enough resources for 1.5 years and thought it would be sufficient. It is not. Working on Freelance jobs does bridge the gap for now, but they take considerable amount of time. And, I am not very sure about the 4-5 year thing I mentioned above. You maybe able to break-even sooner, or later, depending on a multitude of factors. Needless to say, you need to track every single factor!

5. You'll lose everything you have gained until now. EVERY DAMN THING. Losing is the first step to gaining and it is very critical as it will enable you to create a platform/enterprise that you can call your own. Whether you'll be able to make it successful, is a different thing altogether. Also, will your family support an initiative like this? Think very carefully about this point. This is the trickiest thing you need to tackle in the Indian scenario.

6. Nothing is impossible. Read that again: NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. But, you should have a good idea of what you are going to lose and what you may/may not gain. If you cannot handle bankruptcy and if you do not know the meaning of bootstrapping, do not bother venturing in to this. But, that is required for any venture you might start from scratch, not only a professional blog.

• Dear Rajesh _ Really thankful to you for this lesson. You have given a good summary of your experience and real in-depth vision for new bloggers like me.
  • It was for me. I started my blog called Stuttering Hub in 2008, and used it as a place to write posts to help people who stammer across the world, to increase their self-confidence. This is my real passion. I subsequently went on to become a life coach and my blog formed the web presence for my life coaching company called Stuttering Hub Limited. I still blog and also use it as a place to offer my coaching services and ebooks.

Welcome Friend!

Be a part of the BlogAdda Forum to connect, share and learn. Login via Facebook or Register, it takes less than a minute!

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion

Tagged