Welcome to the BlogAdda Forum. Post your queries and views on various subjects surrounding the Indian blogosphere, connect with like-minded folks and have quality conversations. Spread the word amongst your fellow bloggers and let’s help each other.
What's the best fantasy novel series of all time?
  • It's no secret I'm a fantasy buff. It's a genre that has snowballed in popularity ever since Harry Potter hit bookstores. It's time to now ask the question to all serious fantasy book lovers: which is the greatest series of all time?

To help the decision process, I've put down some options to choose from. But you're free to add your own option, in case I've missed it.

Option 1 The Shannara Series by Terry Brooks. An epic high fantasy series that spans present-day Earth and post-apocalyptic Earth.

Option 2 Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. The one that started it all. A desperate quest to free Middle Earth from the dominion of the evil wizard Sauron.

Option 3 Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. A fifteen-book story set in our future (or our past) about the Final Battle between Good and Evil.

Option 4 Harry Potter by JK Rowling. A young man learns he is a wizard who must defeat the Dark Lord who killed his parents and threatens to enslave the world.

Option 5 Discworld by Terry Pratchett. A hilarious, satirical take on life and times, set in the medieval past. Full of angry soldiers, short-tempered dwarves and fire-breathing dragons.

Option 6 A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. A series that challenges the customs of high fantasy, focusing on politics, war, brutality and human nature over magic.

Option 7 Ramayana by Ashok Banker. The legendary Indian tale, reimagined in a modern sword-and-sorcery context.

I know what I'd pick. Do you? Let's talk!

What's the best fantasy novel series of all time?
  • I think you are comparing different genres. Ramayana is not fantasy. Disc World is more spoof than fantasy. Harry Potter is children's fiction and not traditional fantasy. Song of ice and fire is more an imaginary medieval historic fiction than genuine fantasy. I would consider only Shannara and Wheel of Time as genuine fantasy. I have not read Wheel of Time. So that leaves only Shannara.

By the way I can add more options for you

1. Homecoming Series by Orson Scott Card
    2. Dragon Lance Series by Weiss and Hickman
    3. Belgariad series by David Eddings
    4. Age of Discovery Series by Michael Stackpole
    5. Tamir series by Lynn Flewelling
    6. Live Ship Series by Robin Hobb
    7. Fareseer Series by Robin Hobb
    8. Magic Kingdom Series by Terry Brooks

I can include many more if you want to count children's fantasy and spoofs.
  • My pick: Harry Potter, but would love to see Ramayana as an epic movie with all the battle and blood :)
  • And we have not included the grand daddy of all of them - Lord of the Rings.
  • If you want to count spoofs

1. Game World Trilogy by Samit Basu
    2. Xanth Series by Piers Anthony
    3. Barthemeus Series by Jonathan Shroud
  • You have, it's option two from the first set.
  • If you want to count children's book:-

1. Narnia Series by C S Lewis
    2. Ink Series by Cornelia Funke
    3. Children of Lamp series by P.B. Kerr
    4. Stravaganzers series by Mary Hoffman
    5. Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
    6. Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan
    7. Spook series by John Delaney
    8. The trilogy by Isabelle Allende
  • Vader_t said:

You have, it's option two from the first set.

Ok. My Mistake. One can's say fantasy without mentioning Lord of the Rings.
  • I loved Harry potter series...haven't read the others
  • Remembered another great one

1. Oz series by Frank L Baum.

Some more children's fantasy I remembered but did not like much. Maybe somebody else liked them

1. Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper
    2. Power of Five by Anthony Horowritz
    3. Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer
    4. Inheritance Cycle by Chritopher Paolini
  • Another young adult fantasy author to be included is Garth Nix.

1. Keys to the Kingdom
    2. The Old Kingdom series

Welcome Friend!

Be a part of the BlogAdda Forum to connect, share and learn. Login via Facebook or Register, it takes less than a minute!

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion